Tours

 

New Bern Walking Tours

Many of New Bern's historic homes are private residences, therefore not open to the public. However, a leisurely stroll along riverwalks through the historic district allow observation of the landscapes, architecture and gardens of these vintage homes. Walking also gives a real sense of the many Old World customs that characterize this Colonial town.

The New Bern-Craven County Convention & Visitors Bureau, located in the New Bern Riverfront Convention Center at the corner of East and South Front streets, has several self-guided walking tour maps covering different aspects of New Bern's long and interesting historical heritage, including the Civil War era and the town's historic churches and cemeteries.

New Bern Tours offers guided walking tours for 10 or more people by reservation, (252) 637-7316.

A few of the town's more notable residences and buildings are listed here. Please note, most of these homes are private residences and are not open to the public.

The John Horner Hill House, 713 Pollock Street, is a Georgian-period dwelling built between 1770 and 1780. It is noted for its rare nine-over-nine sash at the first-floor windows.
The Henry H. Harris House, 718 Pollock Street, was built in 1800 and is a well-preserved example of vernacular Federal-period architecture. 
The Anne Green Lane House, 804 Pollock Street, is a transitional late-Georgian–early Federal house built between 1790 and 1800. It was remodeled during the Victorian period. 
The John H. Jones House, 819 Pollock Street, is a small Federal house with an unusual central chimney. Its original separate kitchen remains at the rear. 
The White House, 422 Johnson Street, is a simple sidehall Federal house built c. 1830–40. It is noted for its two end chimneys with a small pent-roofed closet in between.
The Cutting-Allen House, 518 New Street, is a transitional late-Georgian–early Federal sidehall house built in 1793. It is considered unusual because of its flanking wings and large rear ballroom. It was saved from demolition in 1980 and moved to its present location.
The Hawks House at New and Metcalf Streets offers a side-by-side comparison of styles. Dating from the 1760s, the western part of the house is Georgian, and the eastern section is Federal, added by Francis Hawks, son of John Hawks, architect of Tryon Palace.
The Clark House, 419 Metcalf Street, was built between 1795 and 1804. It is one of several gambrel-roofed houses in the historic district.
The Attmore-Wadsworth House, 515 Broad Street, is an unusual one-story, Italianate-style house built c. 1855. Several Italianate-style homes are part of the city's historic architecture.
The Thomas McLin House, 507 Middle Street, is a Federal-style cottage unique for its strict symmetry and diminutive scale.
The W. B. Blades House, 602 Middle Street, was built in 1903 and is noted for its elaborate Queen Anne design.
The Jerkins-Duffy House, 301 Johnson Street, was built c. 1830 and is unusual because of its exterior Federal design and interior Greek Revival elements. It is also noted for its captain's walk and exposed-face chimneys.
The George Slover House, 209 Johnson Street, was built c. 1894 and is an eclectic combination of Queen Anne and shingle-style architecture. 
The Charles Slover House, 201 Johnson Street, is a stately brick townhouse built in 1848–49 that was selected as headquarters by Gen. Ambrose Burnside during the Civil War. C. D. Bradham, inventor of Brad's Drink (now known as Pepsi-Cola), purchased the house in 1908.
The Eli Smallwood House, 524 E. Front Street, is one of the finest of New Bern's Federal brick sidehall houses, built c. 1810. It is noted for its handsome portico and elegant interior woodwork.
•The Federal-style Dawson-Clarke House, 519 E. Front Street, was built c. 1807–10 and enlarged in 1820. It is one of several historic homes exhibiting the use of double porches, a popular style in the coastal region.
The Gaston House, 421 Craven Street, is a Georgian home (c. 1770) built by architect, builder and patriot-statesman James Coor. It was purchased in 1818 by Judge William Gaston and was the scene of the founding of St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church. Gaston was a brilliant orator, lawyer, member of Congress, State Justice and author of the state song. The house was enlarged c. 1850. 
The David F. Jarvis House (c. 1903), 220 Pollock Street, is a good example of neoclassical revival architecture. 
The Edward R. Stanly House and Dependency, 502 Pollock Street, was built c. 1849 in the Renaissance Revival style. The cast-iron grills over its windows are unique in New Bern.
The Wade House, 214 S. Front Street, was built in 1843 and remodeled before 1885 in the Second Empire style. The cast-iron crest on the mansard roof and the iron fence are notable surviving features.

Carolina Carriage ToursCorner of Middle and Pollock Str
New Bern, NC 28560 • map(252) 675-5360

This business offers romantic drives on beautiful days or moonlit evenings in the beautiful historic district and along the Neuse in New Bern. Equally, children love the elegance of pretending to be Cinderella or a Dickens character clamoring to be up on the box with the driver. A story teller can...more about Carolina Carriage Tours

New Bern Trolley Tours333 Middle St.
New Bern, NC 28560 • map(252) 637-7316
(800) 849-7316

Touring the town by trolley is a comfortable and interesting alternative to a walking tour. Ninety-minute tours narrated by professional guides depart from the corner of Pollock and George Streets, across from Tryon Palace gates. Tickets may be purchased on the trolley car every day or at the trolley office at...more about New Bern Trolley Tours

Tradewind Aviation Scenic Rides820 Aviation Dr.
New Bern, NC 28562 • map(252) 636-0716

For a unique overview to introduce New Bern or as a farewell to the city, Tradewind Aviation provides a reasonably priced, exciting tour option. Based at Craven Regional Airport, Tradewind arranges 30-minute and one-hour tours for one to three passengers aboard a Cessna 172. All it takes is a phone call...more about Tradewind Aviation Scenic Rides

 
 
 
Thank you to our partners for supporting the local business community